Determinants Of Boda Boda Accidents In Bomet County. A Social Determinant Perspective.
Road traffic injuries have become a major problem to public health not only in developing countries but in the world at large. Increase in motorcycle and related accidents in the recent years are attributed to joblessness since most youths venture into motorcycle business due to lack of white collar jobs. Despite government intervention in setting and enforcing laws to govern motorcycle riding in Kenya the rate of motorcycle accidents is still alarming. The objective of the study was to establish the social determinants of motorcycle accidents. The data was collected in three places in Bomet County where questionnaires were administered to commercial motorcycle riders who were selected by simple random sampling. The study found out that majority of the riders were youths who have just completed high school. 59.1% of the riders were aged 25 years and below and 59.65% had their highest level of education being secondary education. The study found out that majority of the riders lacked formal training. Only 23.39% went for authorized training institutions. Those who were trained by friends and relatives were 51.46% and 23.98% respectively. Majority of the operators involved in accidents have less than two years of experience on the road. Only 35.09% have been on the road for more than two years, the rest 64.91% have less than 2 years of experience. The results showed a significant statistical relationship (p<0.05) between road structure and accidents in Bomet County. Accidents mostly occur in footpaths and murram roads which have not been constructed well. There was also a significant statistical relationship (p<0.05) between speed and road accidents in Bomet County. The results showed that most accidents which happen in the county are due to lack of training, experience, over speeding and bad roads. The government should organize continuous training for the new entrants and the experienced riders to constantly keep them informed of the current road safety measures. The government should also deploy disciplined and trained officers on road safety to help curb the vices of motorcycle riders on the road.
The following license files are associated with this item: