Maintenance Scheduling Practices And Performance Of Firms In Kenya Energy Sector
The aim of the research project was to establish maintenance scheduling practices in energy sector in Kenya and to evaluate their relationship with the firms’ operations performances in terms of plant availabilities and cost of operations and maintenance. Power generation availability was considered along cost of operations and maintenance to be best indicators of performance because dispatch of electric energy is controlled nationally on based on demand at any given time. The research was done with a target population comprising of all energy generation technologies in Kenya that is hydro, geothermal, wind, gas, thermal and wind. The research used primary data that was collected through emailed questionnaires to maintenance engineers and managers of power generation stations who are responsible for day to day operations and maintenance. The research found out that maintenance scheduling practices are being applied across all the energy generation mix but with varying intensity. Giving priority to critical tasks is strongly applied across all energy generation mix while supervisor’s handling daily schedule without necessarily following the laid down program is least applied. The research established that there is a strong relationship between maintenance scheduling principles and operation performance in Kenya energy sector. It was concluded that maintenance scheduling practices contributes approximately 67% of operations performance. The study recommended that a further study be carried out to establish the other 33% factors that affect operations performance in order to achieve operations performance excellence in Kenya energy sector.
The following license files are associated with this item: