School Related Factors Influencing Students’ Discipline in Public Secondary Schools in Thika West Sub-county, Kenya
This study sought to investigate the school related factors influencing students‟ discipline in public secondary schools in Thika West Sub-County, Kenya. This study determined the influence of administrators‟ sensitivity to students‟ welfare, student socialization in school culture, academic stress and security monitoring on students‟ discipline. This study employed a descriptive survey design. Thirteen head teachers and 14 deputy head teachers from the 13 schools were sampled using census sampling. Simple random sampling was used to select 189 Form 3 students. Data were collected using interviews for head teachers and deputy head teacher, questionnaires for teachers and Focus Group Discussions for Form three students. Among the contacted students 80% indicated that their teachers were sensitive to their needs and therefore this had minimized reported cases of indiscipline. However, the remaining 20% whose school management was not sensitive reported a higher number of indiscipline cases. Majority 62% of the students indicated that their schools had enhanced students‟ socialization which lowered the number of indiscipline cases. For the 38% of the students who whose schools had lower students‟ socialization reported a higher number of indiscipline cases. It was indicated that the strenuous relationship among themselves also makes them to be involved in indiscipline cases. A large number 60% of the students‟ respondents revealed to be experiencing academic stress reported a higher number of indiscipline cases. A few 40% of those who had not experienced academic stress had fewer number of indiscipline cases. Majority 56% of the respondents whose schools had security monitoring measures had fewer number of reported indiscipline. A few 34% of the respondents whose schools did not have security monitoring measures had higher number of reported indiscipline cases. A few of the schools had CCTV and metal detectors as security measures. The study therefore concluded that administrative sensitivity had the highest effect of indiscipline cases. The study recommends that the school management should also give students adequate time to release academic stresses. This can be done by allowing them to participate in sports and also having enough rest. The schools should enhance their security monitoring. This can be done through embracing the new technologies such as CCTV and metal detectors. This will enhance the monitoring of the students in school. The schools without fence ought to fence them to secure the school compound. There should be further research on other school related factors influencing students discipline in public secondary schools in Thika West Sub-County, Kenya since this study focused only on four: administrators‟ sensitivity, student socialization, academic stress and security monitoring.
The following license files are associated with this item: