Evaluation of the Isoniazid Preventive Therapy Care Cascade Among HIV-Positive Female Sex Workers in Mombasa, Kenya.
MetadataShow full item record
BACKGROUND: Kenyan female sex workers (FSWs) have a high HIV prevalence, increasing their tuberculosis (TB) risk. Despite recommendations that HIV-positive individuals be offered isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT), uptake has been limited. METHODS: In this longitudinal cohort of HIV-positive FSWs, we retrospectively characterized the IPT care cascade between March 2000 and January 2010, including reasons for cascade loss or appropriate exit. Cascade success required completion of 6 months of IPT. Baseline characteristics were assessed as potential correlates of cascade loss using multivariable logistic regression. RESULTS: Among 642 HIV-positive FSWs eligible for IPT evaluation, median age was 31 years (IQR 26-35) with median CD4 lymphocyte count of 409 (IQR 292-604) cells per cubic millimeter. There were 249 (39%) women who successfully completed 6 months of IPT, 157 (24%) appropriately exited the cascade, and 236 (37%) were cascade losses. Most cascade losses occurred at symptom screen (38%, 90/236), chest radiograph evaluation (28%, 66/236), or during IPT treatment (30%, 71/236). Twenty-nine women were diagnosed with tuberculosis, including one after IPT initiation. Most women initiating IPT completed the course (71%, 249/351); <5% had medication intolerance. Younger women [<25 and 25-35 vs. >35 years; adjusted odds ratio (AOR) 2.65, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.46 to 4.80 and AOR 1.78, 95% CI: 1.13 to 2.80, respectively], and those evaluated for IPT after antiretroviral availability in 2004 (AOR 1.92, 95% CI: 1.31 to 2.81), were more likely to be cascade losses. CONCLUSIONS: Implementation of IPT among HIV-positive FSWs in Kenya is feasible. However, significant losses along the IPT care cascade underscore the need for strategies improving retention in care.
The following license files are associated with this item: