A survey of client perception of business development services (BDS) offered by Kenya management assistance programme (K-MAP)
This research project was conducted to study client perception of Business Development Services offered by Kenya Management Assistance Programme (K-MAP). The study focused on a population of 1500 elements drawn from K-MAP client list. These clients were spread all over Kenya. To conduct the study, 100 respondents were randomly sampled from the population, and questionnaires mailed to them. In the questionnaire, were questions among them those asking respondents to outline problems they faced in the course of their business operations. There were questions on what type of Business Development Services (BDS) they sought to address their stated problems; and others on what type of BDS they received from K-MAP, and how useful they found them. The study had two main objectives: 1. To determine the types of BDS desired by clients against those offered by KMAP. 2. To determine the MSEs owner/manager's perception of the BDS provided to them by K-MAP. The study then set to test the following hypothesis: Ho The Business Development Services received from K-MAP is independent of the BDS sought by respondents. The Business Development Services received from K-MAP is not independent of the BDS sought by respondents. Out of the 100 targeted respondents, 41 elements responded four of which were "return to sender, address unknown". This left 37 elements available for analysis. Data obtained from the elements was analyzed using the SPSS computer package. In the analysis, data was tabulated in the form of frequencies and percentages; and from this, the first objective was determined. Mean rankings, and test for independence of BDS using regression analysis followed. This was used to determine the second objective. The study established that among others, respondents experienced the following problems in the course of their business operations: Lack of adequate customers, lack of electricity and water, poor record keeping, lack of credit, lack of information, and high competition. In pursuance of solutions to their problems, respondents sought the following BDS: Training in business skills, marketing, research and development, technology access, information provision, consultancy services, and counseling. Responding to questions on what BDS they received from K-MAP, respondents listed the following: Marketing, Training in Business, Consultancy Services, and Counseling. Research and Development, Technology Access, and Information Provision were not provided. When data was analyzed, it was revealed that only 6.9% of BDS respondents received from K-MAP was relevant to the BDS they sought. The remaining 93.1% of BDS they received from K-MAP could be accounted by other factors not related with the BDS they sought, and the error term. The supply of BDS was clearly supply driven and not demand driven. Meanwhile, hypothesis testing concluded that Business Development Services received from K-MAP is independent of the BDS sought by respondents. The study recommends among others, that K-MAP needs to have a detailed analysis of client problems, and the BDS they seek; and provide BDS according to the dictates of client needs. Client needs is the starting point.