Double HPV infection in African cervical cancer detected by polymerase chain reaction
Rogo Khama O.
MetadataShow full item record
Biopsy samples from 13 Kenyan patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix were analysed for the presence of type specific HPV DNA by polymerase chain reaction (PCR). HPV 16 was confirmed in 11 (85%) and HPV 18 in 9 (69%) samples. HPV 6 DNA was detectable in only 3 (23%) samples and no HPV 33 was found. Infection with either HpV16 or 18 was seen in 12 (92%) and infection with both in 8 (62%) cases. The prevalence of double infection found is higher than in previous reports. The significance of this and possible effects of parity on cervical neoplastic changes are discussed.