The contribution of the Methodist Missionaries to Education in Meru: the case of Kaaga Girls' High School, 1961-2010
Mugo, Agnes N
MetadataShow full item record
This research project describes a study on the contribution of the Methodist Missionaries to education in Meru: the case of Kaaga Girls' High School from 1961 to 2010. The objectives of the study was to examine the role of the Methodist church in the development of secondary education in Meru, with special reference to Kaaga Girls High School. Secondly to trace the historical development of Kaaga Girls High School from 1961 to 2010 and thirdly to establish the impact of Kaaga Girl's High School on the educational aspirations of Meru community. In order to examine the contributions of the Methodist missionaries to education in Meru, the case of Kaaga Girls' High School the research employed historical method for data collection and data analysis. The study begins by giving background information to missionaries activities in African continent in the 19th C as a consequence of evangelical revival in Europe in the ISth C. This resulted in formation of many missionary societies to not only spread the gospel to 'heathen' Africans but also eradicate slave trade and introduce legitimate commerce among them. The study further shows how the Methodist missionaries in spirit of spreading the gospel made their way to Kenyan Coast and the Tana River Basin and pitched their first mission station at Ribe before proceeding to Meru after a long struggle of trying to convert the coastal communities. Upon their arrival in Meru they planted a mission station at Kaaga in 1912, a place that was rather remote as compared to other places near Meru town. However, like a mustard seed it developed to be the limelight of the Meru people. The study has revealed the effort put by the first women Methodists missionaries in the education of girls in Meru. The study shows how they moved from door to door campaigning for girl child education among a people who had not grasped the utility of education by then. In 1932, a girl's boarding school was started with an aim of isolating the girls from the negative influence of the local community. The school growth was steady and in 1952 the school was relocated to its present site to allow room for expansion. Kaaga Girls' High School the theme of this study was started in 1961 under the supervision of the Late Bertha Jones. The school establishment came at a time when secondary school opportunity in Kenya especially for girls was very scarce. Kaaga provided a great chance to many who would have otherwise missed this important level of education. The study has traced the historical development of the school. Suggestion for further studies and Recommendations have been made. It is believed that this study will make some modest contributions to the world of scholarship, more particularly, it is hoped that it will provide useful materials and information to individuals, academic institutions of higher learning, government policy makers and most importantly to the history of education in Kenya.