Factors Affecting Performance of Trade Unions in Kenya
Ayugi, Mary Evelyn
Ondiek, Gerald Ochieng
MetadataShow full item record
Trade unions have been used to settle disputes between members and management, the implementation of changes and securing adequate representation of members in government, public and private sector. The objective of this research was to determine factors affecting performance of Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT). The research was a cross- sectional survey done in Nyando District, Kisumu, Kenya using structured and unstructured questionnaire administered to KNUT officials and the teachers. Sample size used was 352 comprising of 341 teachers and 11 KNUT officials. Face to face interview technique was adopted for this study and descriptive statistics was used to analyse the data. The findings of this research indicate that only 71.6 % of the teachers are members of KNUT, the remaining 28.4 % are not. The factors affecting performance of the union were observed as financial, declining membership, political interference among others and this has worsened the performance of the union in the district.