An investigation of commuter satisfaction in the use of Muthurwa Terminus, Nairobi, Kenya.
The problem under investigation is that commuters who use Muthurwa terminus are not satisfied. Matatus take them to Muthurwa while their destination is the city center and beyond. This does not meet conditions of the Four-Stage Directional Travel process, Trip Generation (whether to travel), Trip Distribution (where to travel), Modal Choice (what mode of travel to use) and Traffic Assignment (what route to take). The major objective was to investigate commuter satisfaction m usmg Muthurwa Terminus. The specific objectives were (i) gender and age of commuters, ( ii) the origins of commuters, (iii) destinations of commuters, (iv) travel means commuters use from Muthurwa to CBD and (vi) the commuters' preferred location for a terminal. CBDs tend to have the highest concentration of work places. Worldwide, use of public transport means into the central business district are encouraged (Banjo, ..1.995). The target population was all commuters who use Muthurwa Terminus. A stratified random sample of 80 commuters from 4 major route groups whose matatus use Muthurwa Terminus was surveyed, 20 commuters per route group. Data was collected using questionnaires and interview schedules ..Data was. analysed using SPSS package. An estimated 20,000 commuters use Muthurwa terminus daily (NCC By-Laws 2007). Currently, no transport service provider in Nairobi provides cross-city public transport service (Integrated National Transport Policy 2004). This relocation runs counter to the theme of encouraging public transport. On orrgins, most commuters 'were from Kayole (35%). On destination, majority of commuters were travelling beyond city centre 55%. Those to CBD were 37.5%. Those to CBD and beyond combined were 92.5%. On frequency the study established that 62.5% of commuters used Muthurwa terminus Monday to Friday, 35% every day of the week and 2.5% used the terminus occasionally. The study established that 53% of sampled commuters were not satisfied with Muthurwa terminus. 25% were neutral. 22% indicated they were satisfied. The study established that 60% of commuters prefer a terminus located in the city centre. A small group, 3% preferred Muthurwa terminus. Policy makers ensure commuter needs are established before relocations of their public travel means. Connectivity should be considered whenever terminals are being developed. Planners improve the terminus by expanding roads to reduce congestion which is a daily occurrence. Installation of more lighting would improve security especially at night. Gaps identified for scholars; A study of the level of satisfaction by matatu operators at Muthurwa terminus; A study of time taken to walk from Muthurwa to CBD; A study on characteristics of residential areas where most of the commuters originated; A study on satisfaction levels by commuters using other terminals relocated from CBD such as Westlands and Ngara.