Principals of College of Education and External Studies (CEES)from 1986- To date
University of Nairobi
MetadataShow full item record
The first Department of Extra-Mural Studies was founded in Makerere in 1953, and under this Department, the first resident tutor for Kenya was appointed in 1956. In 1963 the responsibility for organizing the extra-mural studies in Kenya was transferred to a new Extra-Mural Department of the University College, Nairobi. In the same year, the College of Social Studies, Kikuyu, which had run an independent center for residential adult education since 1961, was absorbed into the University College, Nairobi. The centre was then amalgamated with the Extra-Mural Department, thus forming the Institute of Adult Studies. In 1966, the two departments were integrated under one director and the residential center was renamed the Adult Studies Center. In 1967, the Correspondence Course Unit was established as another arm of the Institute. The three departments of the institute were officially referred to as the Extra- Mural Division, the Adult Studies Center and the Correspondence Course Unit. In 1983, the Institute of Adult Studies was accorded College status and became the College of Adult and Distance Education following the recommendations of the Inspection and Visitations Committee which established six Colleges of the University of Nairobi. Meanwhile, a new Faculty of External Studies was established. The School of External Studies and the Institute of Adult Education were moved to the new Faculty as departments. The Institute of Extra-Mural Studies also became a department of the Faculty of External Studies. In 1988, the University of Nairobi revived the Faculty of Education and situated it at the College of Adult and Distance Education. The College was then, re-organized, re-structured and renamed the College of Education and External Studies (CEES). Sixteen years later a center for Open and Distance Learning was created. In the year 2006 the College was restructured into Schools and a center. These are the School of Education, School of Continuing and Distance Education and the Center for Open and Distance Learning. The administrative office of the College, Schools and the Centre are located at the Kikuyu Campus, 21 Kms west of Nairobi. The Department of Extra-Mural Studies has six regional centers with full-time staff, in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Kakamega, Nakuru and Nyeri. Other regional centers as well as sub-centers are being created and developed throughout the country.