Factors affecting adequacy of provision of housing to low income earners in Nakuru municipality, Kenya
The study was to investigate factors affecting adequacy of provision of housing to low income earners. Adequacy of housing provision is all about adequate standard of living. The research was conducted in Nakuru Municipality among low-income estates, namely Flamingo, Kimathi, Shauri Yako, Old Ojuka, Lumumba, Kaloleni, Bondeni and Kivumbini. The specific objectives were to examine how basic infrastructure affected adequacy of provision of housing , to establish how environmental factors affected adequacy of provision of housing and how accessibility of loans affected adequacy of provision of housing to low income earners in Nakuru Municipality. The study was supported by comprehensive literature review section in chapter two. The variables were basic infrastructure that is water, sanitation, environment whereby the researcher focused on waste management and finally access to loans. The research was both quantitative and qualitative. The study utilized the post factor survey design. Because of large population scattered over a large geographical area, cluster (strata) sampling was done to come up with a sample size of 358 households/units used in the study. But by the end of the data collection exercise information was collected from 327 respondents representing 91.3%. Data was collected with the aid of questionnaires. Descriptive statistics (frequencies and percentages) were computed. From the findings, adequacy of provision of housing was highly affected by water and sanitation whereby on sanitation it was discovered that a great number of respondents using pit latrines represent 75.2% while those who used flash toilets was represented by 24.8%. This showed adequacy of housing would be affected since the pit latrines were connected to the sewer line. 76.5% of the respondents fetched water from a public tap while 23.5% of the remaining respondent bought from vendors. In this case water was inadequately supplied. On environmental factors most of the respondent preferred burning of waste representing 43.1% while disposal by damping represented 35.2% and those disposed through door to door represented 21.7%. Lastly on accessibility of loans out of the possible 327 respondents on 65 respondents accessed a loan representing 19.9%. The remaining 80.1% did not access loans. According to the respondents they said the interest rates were high and their income was unstable. The study recommended public health officers would be needed to reawaken the unconcerned attitude of the residents towards sanitary laws and regulations. The study also recommended that the municipal council of Nakuru in relation with the health sector should have barazas at least every month to increase public awareness on personal hygiene. The financial institutions should look to the plight of the low income earners and offer loans that do not attract high interest rates. Local Government Authority should be called to their primary responsibility to ensure regular collection of refuse in these areas. The assistance of international bodies like UNICEF and the United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (HABITAT) is requested for an effective and enduring renewal programme to be carried out in the area.