The impact of constituency development fund in reducing levels of poverty in Nairobi province
Poverty has been a major concern of many governments world over and many poverty reduction programs have been developed over time and across regions. The CDP as a form of devolved and parallel funding which was introduced in 2003 to facilitate development closer to constituents, 75% of the fund is allocated equally amongst all 210 constituencies, whereas the remaining 25% is disbursed on the basis of constituency poverty index. A 15 members CDC convened and elected by the MP manages the affairs of the CDP in every constituency. This study determines the impact of constituency development fund in reducing poverty levels in Nairobi Province. A census study was conducted focussing CDP in all the constituencies of Nairobi Province. Data was collected from CDC members -and selected slum dwellers in all the 8 constituencies. The results were evident that if the fund is properly managed and more allocations made there would be a significant change in the lifestyles of the urban poor measured by the changes in Social Economic Status indicators (SES) such as education, health facilities, and housing among others. Transparency should be upheld in all CDP transactions for reasons of accountability. Project risk analysis and appraisal should be encouraged to avoid starting and financing unviable projects and finally involving all the stakeholders in the selection, monitoring and evaluation of CDP projects.