Clinical Significance of Pathological and Anatomical Findings in Cone Beam CT Scans of the Maxillary Sinus
MetadataShow full item record
Objective: To determine the range and prevalence of pathological conditions and demonstration of significant anatomical structures in the maxillary sinuses using the cone beam computerized tomographic (CBCT) scan. Methodology: Case series of 60 CBCT scans of the maxillae. Results: Forty (67%) of the scans were of female patients while the rest (20, 33%) were of males. Remarkably, the majority of the scans were requested for those patients who sought dental implant fabrication. Overall, 35 (58%) scans demonstrated pathological features while 8 (13%) demonstrated significant anatomical structures. Pathological features included mucosal thickening in 26 (43%), polypoid lesions in 9 (15%), total antral opacification in 1 (2%) and foreign body in 1 (2%). The commonest anatomic feature was dental root protrusion into the maxillary sinuses in 8 (13%). Conclusion: The CBCT imaging is an important tool for investigating the maxillary sinuses for pathology and the demonstration of the associated anatomic relations.