Challenges of globalization and their impact on Kenya Airways Limited
‘The world is becoming a global village’, so the adage goes. It is a fact that the world has truly become a global village. Globalization has presented to the world new ways of doing things. This has affected not only how organizations conduct their business but also how they compete and ultimately survive. Effects of distance have been greatly minimized. Advances in information technology have enabled communication across global office networks as though they were next door. The objectives of this study were to establish the challenges that globalization poses to one such organization and their effects on the business though a case study, which targeted the senior management staff of Kenya Airways Limited. 15 out of the targeted 17 members were interviewed, which was a response rate of 88%. The study findings indicate that the greatest challenges of globalization to an airline like Kenya Airways Limited are competition and rapid technological changes. The competitive force of global airlines originating from the developed world was described as forceful. In spite of the challenges brought about by globalization, 67% of the respondents described globalization as good for business. The remaining 33% described it as a threat to business. The researcher noted that none of the respondents described globalization as irrelevant to business. Recommendations arising from this research are to be found in chapter 5.