The effectiveness of communication on customer service: a case study of the KCB Bank Group
Communication is a process of exchanging meaning, that is, the deliberate meaning that one person plans to relay must be received by the second person without variation, failure to which there is lack of communication or there miscommunication (Guffey, 2000). The [mrpose of this study was to find out the effectiveness of communication on customer service. The study was guided by the following research questions; 1. What are the communication strategies used by the KCB Bank Group to communicate with its customers? 2. How effective are the messages communicated by the KCB Bank Group to its customers? 3. What feedback channels are available to the customers? The main objective of the study was to investigate the effectiveness of customer service: a case study of KCB Bank Group. The study targeted 50 customers from 10 Main branches in Nairobi. Primary data was collected using structured questionnaires while secondary data was collected from the Company's reports (including news bulletins, quarterly and annual reports), internet Iwebsites, survey reports as well communication reports where applicable. The research instrument used in the study was developed based on the research objectives. The findings indicated that, 50% of the respondents received information from the bank on a monthly basis. 61.9% of the respondents agreed that the bank provided convenient access to information. 90.5% of the respondents strongly agreed that the bank staff were available in timely manner for the provision of the information to customers.64.8% of the respondent agreed that brochures were efficient as a means of communication followed by the Bank's website 57.1 %. The study sought to determine the level of the agreement by the respondents on the messages sent by the bank to its customers; 57.1 % agreed that the bank's messages were easy to understand, 64.8% of the respondents agreed that the messages were personalized. All respondents agreed that the messages left them well informed, did not have any errors and were not contradicting. All respondents agreed that account information should be sent to customers, 95.2 % of the respondents felt that information on bank charges should be provided. All respondents said that they gave feedback to the bank through bank staff while 95.2 % used emails to give feedback to the bank. The study sought to enquire on the overall ratings from the respondents the state of the bank's customer care service and it was determined that majority of the respondents (80.9%) indicated that the service was excellent while the rest (19.1%) indicated that the service was good. The study concluded that there is good, clear and efficient communication between the banks with the customers. The branch was still the most preferred method of communication as the staff provide accurate and consistent information. The staff were helpful, respectful/courteous, knowledgeable and competent. The website was yet another channel that that customers used to provide feedback. The study recommended that communication is very important in any organization; it must be treated as a business requirement for it to succeed. The study recommends that the bank should integrate more methods for reaching its customers. The SMS, emails and social media are channels which should be used to send and receive information to customers.