Gis_based Power Transformer's Planning and Location Case Study:kirinyaga West Sub-county
This project explores the application of Geographic information system (GIS) as a tool in the energy sector. The objective of the project was to study the distribution of power transformers in Kirinyaga West Sub County and thereafter produce a map showing potential locations for installing new transformers to provide enough spatial coverage with planned energy allocations and minimized distribution losses. To achieve this, factors affecting the distribution and installation of transformers were identified, collected, prepared, standardized, analyzed and overlayed to produce a suitability map indicating potential sites for new transformers. The study showed that approximately 55% of the area of study is efficiently spatially covered by the existing transformers leaving out 45% of the area uncovered. It was also realized that if the current medium voltage network in the area of study is maximized, 29% more of the area would be covered. This leaves approximately 20% requiring extension of the medium voltage network. These percentages are exclusive of the forest cover which is approximately 7% of the study area.
The following license files are associated with this item: