Chairpersons, Department of Real Estate & Construction Management
University of Nairobi
MetadataShow full item record
The Department has existed since 1956 when the Royal College, (presently University of Nairobi) was established. The Royal College was part of the University of East Africa. However, the Department has existed under different names in the various times of existence. Upon its inception, the Department offered Diploma courses allied to the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), of United Kingdom, and admitted the first Bachelor degrees programmes bunch of students in 1967. Up-to 1990 it was called, Department of Land Development, when it split into two sister departments named as Department of Land Development and, Department of Building Economics & Management. In 2005 when there was a University-wide restructuring and formation of schools, the two sister departments were merged into the Department in its current name and as part of, School of the built environment, (SBE). DEPARTMENT MILESTONES: The department held a successful stakeholders consultative workshop on Bachelor of Real Estate on 31st August 2012 at the Nairobi Safari Club (Lilian Towers). The workshop discussed the way forward for the curriculum which was being mounted after the B.A. Land Economics was phased out. The stakeholders expressed concern that the graduates were specializing too early since the Bachelor of Real Estate had two options namely; *_ Valuation and Property Management, *_ Land and Housing Administration, They agreed that the two options should be collapsed into one. This was done and approved by the senate.
- Deans and Chairmen