Source of oral health motivation, attitudes and practices in adolescents 12-13 years old in Nairobi
Gathece Loice W
MetadataShow full item record
The aim of the study was to determine the sources of oral health motivation, attitudes and practices of adolescents. A descriptive cross sectional study was conducted among 12-13 year olds in a primary school in Nairobi, Kenya. One hundred and eight pupils participated in the study. A convenience sampling method was used to select the study area. Data was collected using a self administered questionnaire. All children who met the inclusion criteria were recruited to the study. The study revealed that parents were the main source of oral health motivation 88 (96.7%), with teachers contributing the remaining 3 (3.3%). Majority 63 (69.2%) of the respondents had a positive attitude towards their oral health. Most of the respondents brushed daily 85 (93.4%) and were aware that they were using toothpaste containing fluoride. A large percentage of respondents 55 (60.4%) ate cariogenic diet daily and none of them reported any form of tobacco use. Within the findings of this study, it is concluded that the main source of oral health motivation was parents. However, although the children had a positive attitude towards oral health and brushed daily they ate cariogenic diet items daily and half of the study population visited the dentist when they had dental problems.
CitationAJOHS 2009 V5(4)
- Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS)