Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorMuia, Patricia Nthoki
dc.identifier.citationDoctor of Education in Educational Administration, University of Nairobi 2018en_US
dc.description.abstractThere is widespread recognition education is the key to the well-being of any society. Therefore, transforming schools is critical for sustained growth and success to both the individuals and countries. This study was motivated by the need to improve academic performance in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examinations in Mbooni West Sub-county, Kenya. The study examined influence of principals‟ transformational leadership practices (TLP) on academic performance in KCSE. This study was guided by six objectives thus, to examine the extent to which principals‟ TLP in public secondary schools influence performance in KCSE. To identify the best TLP predictor that impacts performance in KCSE, and examine the extent to which demographic variables influence their leadership practices. The Path-Goal Theory guided this study. Descriptive survey design was used. The dependent variable was academic performance in KCSE while the independent variables were principals‟ transformational leadership practices. The 42 public secondary schools were target population. Then 266 teachers, principal inclusion were selected by use of simple random technique. Instruments used were questionnaires, focus groups discussion guide, interview guides, and documentary analyses. Data was analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics. In descriptive statistics analysis frequencies, means, standard deviations and percentages were calculated and presented in tables. Descriptive analyses on TLP responses (4 scores and above indicated high, between 3 to 3.99 scores moderate, and below 3 scores indicated low) TLP. Results shown that, majority74 per cent of the schools‟ principals in Mbooni West Sub-County had moderate level (3-3.99 scores) of TLP and the rest 26 per cent had low (below 3 scores) level of TLP. Further, Pearson‟s Product Moment Correlation Coefficient were computed to test if relationships exist or does not exist between TLP and KCSE performance tested at alpha value 0.01 or 0.05 levels of significance. The findings shown that, TLP have positive significant influence on academic performance in KCSE with Inspirational Motivation 0.194**; Intellectual Stimulation 0.198** and Idealized Influence 0 .178* at alpha value 0.01 level of significance (2-tailed). Then, Individual Consideration had 0.168* at alpha value 0.05 level of significance (2-tailed). The null hypotheses were rejected and the alternative hypotheses adopted. The best transformational leadership practice predicator for KCSE examinations was Intellectual Stimulation (IS) with 0.198**. T-test was used to determine whether principals‟ demographic characteristics influence their leadership practices. No major significant influences found except on age that influences the choice of idealized influence. Future research may focus on influence of principals‟ TLP on school culture. Influence of principals‟ TLP on collective teachers‟ efficacy. Influence of principals‟ TLP on teachers‟ commitment in public secondary schools. This study recommends higher learning institutions to restructure comprehensive courses on TLP for teacher trainees to enhance establishment of effective schools‟ leadership. Also, Kenya Education Management Institute to organize capacity building programs on TLP to empower practicing principals.en_US
dc.publisherUniversity of Nairobien_US
dc.rightsAttribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States*
dc.titleInfluence of Principals’ transformational leadership practices on academic performance in Kenya certificate of secondary education in Mbooni West sub- county, Kenyaen_US

Files in this item


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States