An analysis of factors influencing sustainability of constituency development funded projects in Kiharu Constituency, Murang'a District in Central Province, Kenya
The constituency Development Fund (CDF) was established in 2003 through the CDF Act in the Kenya Gazette supplement no. 107 (Act no, 11) of January 2004. The fund aims to control .. regional imbalances in regional development brought about by partisan politics. It targets all constituency level development projects, particularly those aiming to combat poverty at the grassroots. The fund comprises an annual budgetary allocation equivalent to 2.5% of the government's ordinary revenue. A motion seeking to increase this allocation to 7.5% ofthe government's revenue was recently passed in parliament. 75% of the fund is allocated equally among all 210 constituencies. The remaining 25% is allocated as per constituency poverty levels. A maximum 10% of each constituency's annual allocation may be used for an education bursary scheme.CDF is managed through 4 committees 2 of which are at the national level and 2 at the grassroots level. This research study was carried out with an aim of analyzing the factors that influence sustainability of CDF projects in Kiharu constituency, Murang'a district in central province. The objectives of the study were to establish the extent to which community participation, level of awareness in CDF Act and guidelines, political factor and effective community leadership influences sustainability of CDF projects in Kiharu. Purposeful sampling was used and questionnaires used to collect data. The data collected was analyzed using scientific package for social scientists (SPSS). The main finding of the study was that Kiharu constituents are significantly aware of the CDF operations and procedures followed during selection and implementation of the projects though they are not fully involved in some procedures like the allocation of funds to the approved projects. The key conclusion of the study was that sustainability of CDF projects is possible in Kiharu. This can be achieved ifthere is a mechanism to ensure that beneficiaries of CDF projects are empowered to come up with tailor made mechanisms to ensure sustainability. The researcher hoped that the findings of the study will immensely' be useful in planning and formulation of relevant policies which can address the challenges currently faced in ensuring sustainability of CDF projects.
University of Nairobi, Kenya